Thursday, February 28, 2013

Grey Mornings


Pretty grey kinda morning, isn't it.

But in Hong Kong, you never know how the weather for the day will turn out - it could start like this and end up being super sunny. I have a rule for dressing here - I look at the humidity first. If the humidity is/will be over 80%, it's summer dress time. If the humidity is under 80%, only then do I pay attention to the temperature.

For example, today, according to Google Weather, will be 91% humidity at 11am. Ignore the fact that it is 20 degrees - a dress and jacket will suffice. However, know that if you do follow my rule and wear clothes that won't have you sweating profusely, you will stand out. (Well, more than I already stand out as a non-Asian). All the local students will be in jeans and puffer jackets of the kind similar to those worn by trendy Koreans during the snowy Korean winter. I guess if you have always lived with humidity, you don't feel it so much. But I, who have only ever known Adelaide's dry heat (bar one ridiculously humid week in Panama), am just not used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment